Scripture and . . .


There is power in God's Word.  He created the heavens and the earth with His Word.  In Genesis 1, six times there is a pattern of "Then God said..."  followed by "and it was so."  From the beginning of time, when God speaks, things happen.

God promises that His Word will have His desired effect:
Isaiah 55:10-11 (NASB) "For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, And do not return there without watering the earth And making it bear and sprout, And furnishing seed to the sower and bread to the eater; So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It will not return to Me empty, Without accomplishing what I desire, And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it. 

The Bible is living and active, especially in convicting us of sin:
Hebrews 4:12 (NASB) For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Scripture is profitable and equips believers for His work:
2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NASB) All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.


2 Timothy 3 16-17 All scripture is inspired by God | scriptureand.blogspot.com


Our words are feeble.  Some are better with words than others, but the words of all are imperfect, fallible, and ... human.

Lately, I was enjoying the words of different hymns and praise songs and wondered what makes some better than others when it hit me: the power was in God's Word that shone through the author's words. I desired to connect the words of the songs to the foundation of Scripture.  A plan for studying one song each week formed as well as a desire to share my findings with others.

However, hymns and praise songs are not the only things built on the rock of God's Word.  Our lives should be built on that foundation as well.  I can hear my son singing about the two houses:
Matthew 7:24-27 (NASB) "Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them, may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock. "And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and yet it did not fall, for it had been founded on the rock. "Everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not act on them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand.  "The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and it fell - and great was its fall."

The second verse of his song talks about building our lives "on the rock of Jesus' Word."  That can only be done by knowing and doing God's Word.  So God's Word should be seen and applied in all areas of our lives, not just in the songs we sing.  

I originally thought to call this blog "Scripture and Music", but the more I pondered this idea of the Bible's connection to all of life I decided to just call it "Scripture and ... Music ... Crafts ... Life"  or for short just "Scripture and ...".  My desire is that all who read it will leave not pondering my words, but God's.



Name:


E-mail: *


Message: *





Comments

  1. I happened upon your blog because I was searching for Hymns that were biblically based. Your blog came up and I am thoroughly grateful that you do what you do. I have been blessed by your hard work and diligence. God bless you and your family. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. God's Word is powerful. He is Mighty to save. Praying His word/promises for salvation-mercy-rescue-healing for family, friends,neighbors, our nation.Thank you Lord for your mercy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It Is Well With My Soul

Bible Verses for How Great Is Our God

More Free Birthday Images with Bible Verses