The Sands of Time are Sinking

The words of this hymn are actually an excerpt from a much longer poem by Anne R. Cousin (it has 19 stanzas).  It was inspired by the letters and last words of Samuel Rutherford.  The hymnal I use does not include the second verse below, but I included it here.  There are some more modern versions of it.  While I love the old music, the new ones are pretty good too.

Here is the Indelible Grace's version. Click here for a pdf of the music.




Here is Matt Searle's version.  
Click here for Matt Searle's website that has a pdf of this song, Immanuel's Land.
Click here for Matt Searles' album Now and Not Yet.




Here is the traditional version.




The Sands of Time are Sinking
by Anne R. Cousin, 1857


The sands of time are sinking, the dawn of Heaven breaks;
The summer morn I’ve sighed for — the fair, sweet morn awakes:
Dark, dark hath been the midnight, but dayspring is at hand,
Philippians 1:23 But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better;
Luke 1:78 Through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the dayspring from on high hath visited us,
And glory, glory dwelleth in Immanuel’s land.
Revelation 21:10-11 And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God, Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal;

The King there in His beauty, without a veil is seen:
1 Corinthians 13:12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known.
1 John 3:2 Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we will be. We know that when He appears, we will be like Him, because we will see Him just as He is.
It were a well spent journey, though seven deaths lay between:
Philippians 1:21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
The Lamb with His fair army, doth on Mount Zion stand,
Revelation 19:14  And the armies which are in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, were following Him on white horses.
Zechariah 14:4  In that day His feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, which is in front of Jerusalem on the east; and the Mount of Olives will be split in its middle from east to west by a very large valley, so that half of the mountain will move toward the north and the other half toward the south.
And glory — glory dwelleth in Immanuel’s land.

O Christ, He is the fountain, the deep, sweet well of love!
Ephesians 3:17-19 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God.
The streams of earth I’ve tasted more deep I’ll drink above:
Revelation 22:1 And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.
There to an ocean fullness His mercy doth expand,
Psalm 145:9 The LORD is good to all, And His mercies are over all His works.
And glory, glory dwelleth in Immanuel’s land.

O I am my Beloved’s and my Beloved’s mine!
Song of Solomon 6:3  "I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine, He who pastures his flock among the lilies."
He brings a poor vile sinner into His “house of wine.”
Song of Solomon 2:4 "He has brought me to his banquet hall, And his banner over me is love."
Luke 14:16-18, 21,23  But He said to him, "A man was giving a big dinner, and he invited many; and at the dinner hour he sent his slave to say to those who had been invited, 'Come; for everything is ready now.' But they all alike began to make excuses. ... And the slave came back and reported this to his master. Then the head of the household became angry and said to his slave, 'Go out at once into the streets and lanes of the city and bring in here the poor and crippled and blind and lame.' ... And the master said to the slave, 'Go out into the highways and along the hedges, and compel them to come in, so that my house may be filled."

I stand upon His merit—I know no other stand,
Romans 5:1-2 Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have obtained our introduction by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we exult in hope of the glory of God.
Not even where glory dwelleth in Immanuel’s land.

The Bride eyes not her garment, but her dear Bridegroom’s face;
I will not gaze at glory but on my King of grace.
Revelation 19:7-8  Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready. It was given to her to clothe herself in fine linen, bright and clean; for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints.
Psalm 27:4 One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Not at the crown He giveth but on His pierced hand;
2 Timothy 4:8  in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing.
James 1:12 Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial ; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.
1 Peter 5:4 And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory.
John 20:20 And when He had said this, He showed them both His hands and His side. The disciples then rejoiced when they saw the Lord.
The Lamb is all the glory of Immanuel’s land.
Revelation 21:23 And the city has no need of the sun or of the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God has illumined it, and its lamp is the Lamb.

I'd love to hear any Bible verses that you would like to add (I'm sure there are more and some that are better than mine).  Or just tell me which of the three versions of music you like best.


**  Scripture And... is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Comments

  1. This is a great hymn indeed and so rich with scriptural truths hidden in its words. Hymns like this were written from a heart experience and not only touch the emotions but are theologically deep. The original tune also can't be compared with modern versions I must say it brings the words powerfully to life. We will be singing this hymn to day as we gather in His Wonderful Name. Thank you for your reminding us of it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It Is Well With My Soul

Bible Verses for How Great Is Our God

More Free Birthday Images with Bible Verses