Bible Verses for Amazing Grace

Probably the most popular hymn in the English language, Amazing Grace was written by John Newton, a former slave trader.  The meter (number of syllables in each line) of Amazing Grace is what is called the Common Meter (8.6.8.6.).  It is not called the Common Meter for nothing.  There are many tunes (both traditional and new) that have this meter.  As a result, Amazing Grace can be sung to many tunes. It can even be sung to The old Coca Cola Theme Song (I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony...)

Here are some hymn tunes that have been used for Amazing Grace over the years (click on them to hear them):
New Britain - the traditional version

There have been many more recent tunes as well.  Here are a few.

The nostalgic camp version:
The edgy version (though the feel of the tune fits well with the words):
The contemporary classic (to Londonderry Air):
The rock version:
And last - the version that I will be focusing on, the contemporary praise and worship song:

Bible Verses for 

Amazing Grace/My Chains Are Gone 

by John Newton and Chris Tomlin

Amazing grace how sweet the sound
2 Corinthians 9:14 while they also, by prayer on your behalf, yearn for you because of the surpassing grace of God in you.
That saved a wretch like me
Romans 7:24 Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death?
I once was lost, but now I'm found
Of the prodigal son Luke 15:24 for this son of mine was dead and has come to life again; he was lost and has been found.' And they began to celebrate.
Was blind, but now I see
The formerly blind man says about Jesus John 9:25 He then answered, "Whether He is a sinner, I do not know; one thing I do know, that though I was blind, now I see."
'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear
Psalm 118:4 Oh let those who fear the LORD say, "His lovingkindness is everlasting."
And grace my fears relieved
Isaiah 41:10 'Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.'
How precious did that grace appear The hour I first believed
Ephesians 2:7 so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
My chains are gone, I've been set free
Romans 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.
My God, my Savior has ransomed me
Psalm 31:5 Into Your hand I commit my spirit; You have ransomed me, O LORD, God of truth.
And like a flood His mercy rains
Ephesians 1:7-8 In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace which He lavished on us. In all wisdom and insight
Unending love, amazing grace
Ephesians 2:4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us,
The Lord has promised good to me
Romans 8:28 And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
His word my hope secures
Psalm 130:5  I wait for the LORD, my soul does wait, And in His word do I hope.
Jesus says in Matthew 24:35 "Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away."
He will my shield and portion be As long as life endures
2 Samuel 22:31 "As for God, His way is blameless; The word of the LORD is tested; He is a shield to all who take refuge in Him."
Lamentations 3:24 "The LORD is my portion," says my soul, "Therefore I have hope in Him."
The earth shall soon dissolve like snow
2 Peter 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up.
The sun forbear to shine
Joel 2:31 "The sun will be turned into darkness And the moon into blood Before the great and awesome day of the LORD comes."
But God who called me here below Will be forever mine, will be forever mine You are forever mine
1 Peter 5:10 After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you.

I want to hear from you!
Which version do you like best?  There are quite a few good ones here.  Are there any that you don't like?  Some music just seems to fit the feeling that the words bring, while others don't. Are there are Bible verses that you would like to add?  Ones that fit a certain line or the theme behind the words.  I'd love to hear them! Are there any hymns or praise songs that you would suggest that I do next?  Thanks again, Anita, for suggesting "My Chains are Gone."  It has been good for me to study it.

Comments

  1. Love your blog! I think my favorite tune is Warwick - as well as the traditional one. This sounds crazy but I still remember about 35 years ago, I was scrubbing the kitchen floor one day and singing that song and the last verse just HIT me! "When we've been there 10,000 years, bright shining as the sun; we've no less days to sing God's praise than when we first begun." Wow! Mom J.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It Is Well With My Soul

Bible Verses for How Great Is Our God

More Free Birthday Images with Bible Verses