Colossians 3:12 - Lesson 3 - Humility

Lesson 3: Humility
Story: The Life of Solomon
Bible passages: 2 Sam 12; 1 Chron. 22, 28; 1 Kings 2; 
2 Chron. 1, 5, 9; 1 Kings 11

Introduction activity:
Introduce humility by having the students take turns taping the following quotes to the a picture of a humble or a proud person.

Humble and Proud Quotes
  • I’m the best.
  • I never do anything wrong.
  • I’m perfect.
  • I know everything.
  • I deserve to have everything my own.
  • I’m better than you.
  • Sometimes I make mistakes.
  • I still have a lot to learn.
  • No one is perfect.
  • I’m not perfect.
  • I have sinned.
  • Joe is better than I am at that.

Bible story:


Print out the Solomon Timeline.
Tell the story using pictures (I printed some off of the internet or you can use this pdf.)  While you’re telling the story have them graph Solomon’s ups and downs on the Solomon timeline.  After you tell the story, have them go back and graph how humble he was.  (This method of mapping the ups and downs also works well with the life of Joseph, though I didn't graph his humility).

Discussion:
When was Solomon humble?  How did God respond when Solomon was humble?  How did God respond when Solomon was proud? Read Proverbs 29:23 “A man's pride will bring him low, But a humble spirit will obtain honor.”  Read James 4:6 “But He gives a greater grace. Therefore it says, GOD IS OPPOSED TO THE PROUD, BUT GIVES GRACE TO THE HUMBLE.’”

Application Activity:
Role play different situations.  Have one student act out pride and another one act out humility in each situation.
·         Winning a game
·         Losing a game
·         Getting a good grade
·         Becoming the president
·         Getting a part in the school play
·         Receiving a gift

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It Is Well With My Soul

Bible Verses for How Great Is Our God

More Free Birthday Images with Bible Verses