When I Survey the Wondrous Cross

I love this old hymn in the original version, but also like the modern version in "The Wonderful Cross.  To see it on YouTube click here.


When I Survey The Wondrous Cross | scriptureand.blogspot.com

When I Survey the Wondrous Cross


by Isaac Watts

When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
Acts 5:30 "The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom you had put to death by hanging Him on a cross."
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.
Luke 9:24-25  "For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he is the one who will save it. For what is a man profited if he gains the whole world, and loses or forfeits himself?"

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God!
Galatians 6:14 But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.

Ecclesiastes 5:10 He who loves money will not be satisfied with money, nor he who loves abundance with its income. This too is vanity.
 Luke 21:3-4 And He said, "Truly I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all of them; for they all out of their surplus put into the offering; but she out of her poverty put in all that she had to live on."

See from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Matthew 27:29 And after twisting together a crown of thorns, they put it on His head, and a reed in His right hand; and they knelt down before Him and mocked Him, saying, "Hail, King of the Jews!"

About Jesus in Psalm 22:16 For dogs have surrounded me; A band of evildoers has encompassed me; They pierced my hands and my feet.
Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?
Romans 5:8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
About Jesus in Isaiah 53:3 He was despised and forsaken of men, A man of sorrows and acquainted with grief; And like one from whom men hide their face He was despised, and we did not esteem Him.
John 19:2 And the soldiers twisted together a crown of thorns and put it on His head, and put a purple robe on Him;

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Revelation 4:11  "Worthy are You, our Lord and our God, to receive glory and honor and power; for You created all things, and because of Your will they existed, and were created."
Revelation 5:12-13 saying with a loud voice, "Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power and riches and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing." And every created thing which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all things in them, I heard saying, "To Him who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb, be blessing and honor and glory and dominion forever and ever."
Love so amazing, so divine,
Ephesians 3:19 and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God.
Demands my soul, my life, my all.
Romans 12:1 Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.
Do you have any verses that you'd like to add?  I'd love to hear about them.  Just add them in the comments below.

Also, I'd also love to hear any suggestions for another hymn or worship song to study.

**  Scripture And... is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Comments

  1. Love so amazing, so divine... John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A perfect Bible verse to add for that line of the song. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Crown Him with Many Crowns
    By Mat­thew Bridg­es

    Crown Him with many crowns, - Revelation 19:12; Revelation 4:11
    The Lamb upon His throne. - Revelation 5:6
    Hark! How the heav’nly anthem drowns - Revelation 5:13
    All music but its own! - Psalm 95:1
    Awake, my soul, and sing - Psalm 57:8
    Of Him who died for thee; - 1 Corinthians 15:22; Romans 5:7-8
    And hail Him as thy matchless king - John 19:3a; Isaiah 30:18
    Through all eternity! - Psalms 72:17

    Crown Him the Lord of love! - 1 John 4:8; 1 John 4:19
    Behold His hands and side, - John 20:27
    Those wounds, yet visible above, - Isaiah 53:5
    In beauty glorified: - Psalms 27:4
    No angel in the sky
    Can fully bear that sight, - Psalm 145:3
    But downward bends his burning eye - Revelation 19:12
    At mysteries so bright!

    Crown Him the Lord of years, - Joshua 2:11
    The Potentate of time, - 1 Timothy 6:15
    Creator of the rolling spheres, - Isaiah 40:28
    Ineffably sublime. - Romans 8:39; John 17:1
    All hail, Redeemer, hail! - Luke 1:28
    For Thou has died for me;- 1 Corinthians 15:22; Romans 5:7-8
    Thy praise and glory shall not fail
    Throughout eternity. - Rev. 4:11; Psalm 71:8

    Crown Him the Lord of life, - John 14:6
    Who triumphed o’er the grave, - 1 Corinthians 15:55-57
    And rose victorious in the strife - John 11:25-26; 1 Cor. 15:4
    For those He came to save. - Matt. 18:11; 1 Tim. 2:3-4; 2 Peter 3:9
    His glories now we sing, - Psalm 150:1-5; Isaiah 44:23;
    Who died, and rose on high, - 1 Cor. 15:4; Mark 16:6
    Who died eternal life to bring, - John 10:28-30
    And lives that death may die. - 1 Corinthians 15:55-57

    Crown Him the Lord of lords, - 1 Timothy 6:15; Revelation 19:16
    Who over all doth reign, - Rev. 11:15
    Who once on earth, the incarnate Word, - John 1:14
    For ransomed sinners slain, - Mark 10:45; 1 Timothy 2:5-6
    Now lives in realms of light, - 1 John 1:7;John 8:12; John 9:5
    Where saints with angels sing - Revelation 5:9
    Their songs before Him day and night, - Psalm 42:8
    Their God, Redeemer, king. - Isaiah 47:4;Psalm 78:35; Isaiah 44:6

    ReplyDelete
  3. My richest gain I count but loss - Philippians 3:7-9 -7 But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. 8 Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith—

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great verse for that line. Thanks for sharing it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It Is Well With My Soul

Bible Verses for How Great Is Our God

More Free Birthday Images with Bible Verses