Bible Verses for A Thousand, A Thousand Thanksgivings

I was not familiar with this song until a friend introduced me to it last Thanksgiving.  I loved it instantly.  This song is another like Best Gift of All Thou Hast Bestow'd that you can't hear without causing gratitude to spring up in your heart.  However, this hymn focuses exclusively on thanksgiving for Christ's death for us. 

If you are not familiar with the tune, you can find it here

 A Thousand, A Thousand Thanksgivings by Ernst C. Homburg | scriptureand.blogspot.com

A Thousand, A Thousand Thanksgivings

by Ernst C. Homburg; Translated Mrs Frances Bevan

Verse 1:

Thou Life of my life, blessed Jesus,
Thou death of the death that was mine,


Romans 5:8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
For me was Thy cross and Thine anguish,
Thy love and Thy sorrow divine;

1 Corinthians 15:3-4 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,
Thou suffered the cross and the torment,
That I might forever go free -
1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit;
A thousand, a thousand thanksgivings,
I bring, blessed Savior, to Thee!

Verse 2:
For me Thou hast borne the reproaches,
The mockery, hate and disdain;
Speaking prophetically of Jesus in Psalm 22:6 But I am a worm and not a man, a reproach of men and despised by the people.
Luke 23:36-37 The soldiers also mocked Him, coming up to Him, offering Him sour wine, and saying, “If You are the King of the Jews, save Yourself!”
The blows and the spittings of sinners,
The scourging, the shame and the pain;
Matthew 26:67 Then they spat in His face and beat Him with their fists; and others slapped Him,
Matthew 27:26 Then he released Barabbas for them; but after having Jesus scourged, he handed Him over to be crucified. 
To save me from bondage and judgment,
Thou gladly hast suffered for me -
Romans 6:5-7 For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection, knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; for he who has died is freed from sin.
Romans 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.
A thousand, a thousand thanksgivings,
I bring, blessed Savior, to Thee!

Verse 3:
O Lord, from my heart I do thank Thee
For all Thou hast borne in my room,
About Jesus in 1 Peter 2:24 and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed.
Thine agony, dying, unsolaced,
Alone in the darkness of doom,
When Jesus was praying in the Garden of Gethsemane in Luke 22:44 And being in agony He was praying very fervently; and His sweat became like drops of blood, falling down upon the ground.
Isaiah 53:3 He was despised and forsaken of men, a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief; And like one from whom men hide their face He was despised, and we did not esteem Him.
That I, in the glory of heaven,
Forever and ever might be -
1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord.
Revelation 22:3-5 There will no longer be any curse; and the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it, and His bond-servants will serve Him; they will see His face, and His name will be on their foreheads. And there will no longer be any night; and they will not have need of the light of a lamp nor the light of the sun, because the Lord God will illumine them; and they will reign forever and ever. 
A thousand, a thousand thanksgivings,
I bring, blessed Savior, to Thee!
2 Corinthians 9:15 Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!

Comments

  1. This post is a blessing to my heart and a boon to my life. I learned this song as a boy 1966 while in high school. It is still one of my favorite worship songs. I think it is the answer to count your many blessings, or could be sung right along with it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It Is Well With My Soul

Bible Verses for How Great Is Our God

More Free Birthday Images with Bible Verses