Bible Verses for Reckless Love

Bible Verses for Reckless Love | scriptureand.blogspot.com

Is God's love reckless? There have been several songs lately that talk about God's reckless love, notably the recent Bethel song, Reckless Love. The definition of reckless is "without thinking or caring about the consequences of an action" and it's synonyms are "rash, careless, thoughtless, heedless, unheeding, hasty, impulsive, irresponsible, foolhardy, audacious, imprudent, unwise." 

So are the authors saying that God is foolhardy, unwise, or careless in His love? It definitely does not seem so. In the song, there is evidence of God planning to save us (and the Bible definitely shows that God's plan for our salvation was planned "before the foundation of the world" - Revelation 13:8). So God's love for us was not "without thinking... about the consequences," but I do suggest that it was "without caring about the consequences." God gave His only begotten Son (John 3:16), perfect and without sin (2 Cor. 5:21), to save a sinful and rebellious people who weren't even seeking God (Rom. 3:11).  


In fact, the cross of Christ and His crucifixion are noted as being foolish in the eyes of the world in 1 Corinthians 1:18, 23. God's love is reckless in that He counts the cost of His love and pursues us anyway. Maybe reckless isn't the best word, but I'm at a loss to come up with another. If you can think of an adjective that shows that God's love knows the consequences and yet selflessly pushes ahead regardless of the cost, please mention it in the comments below.


In fact, author Cory Asbury wrote:

"When I use the phrase, “the reckless love of God”, I’m not saying that God Himself is reckless. I am, however, saying that the way He loves, is in many regards, quite so. What I mean is this: He is utterly unconcerned with the consequences of His actions with regards to His own safety, comfort, and well-being. His love isn’t crafty or slick. It’s not cunning or shrewd. In fact, all things considered, it’s quite childlike, and might I even suggest, sometimes downright ridiculous. His love bankrupted heaven for you. His love doesn’t consider Himself first. His love isn’t selfish or self-serving. He doesn’t wonder what He’ll gain or lose by putting Himself out there."
Still not comfortable calling God's love reckless? I totally get it. The word reckless is so strongly tied to being impulsive and unwise, yet those thoughts are so incongruous with God's character. You can try changing reckless to something else. Selfless, maybe. Or find another song about God's love to sing. I highly recommend The Love of God or How Deep the Father's Love For Us


Reckless Love

by Caleb Culver, Cory Asbury, Ran Jackson

Verse 1:
Before I spoke a word, You were singing over me
Speaking of God's people in Zephaniah 3:17 The Lord your God in your midst, the Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.”
You have been so, so good to me
Psalm 13:6 (NLT) I will sing to the LORD because He is good to me.
Before I took a breath, You breathed Your life in me
Genesis 2:7 Then the Lord God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.
You have been so, so kind to me
Psalms 117:2 For His lovingkindness is great toward us, and the truth of the Lord is everlasting. Praise the Lord!

Chorus:
Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God
Ephesians 3:19 and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God.
Jeremiah 31:3 The Lord appeared to him from afar, saying, I have loved you with an everlasting loveTherefore I have drawn you with lovingkindness.”
Romans 5:7-8 For one will hardly die for a righteous man; though perhaps for the good man someone would dare even to die. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Oh, it chases me down, fights 'til I'm found, leaves the ninety-nine
Jesus said in Luke 15:3-7 So He told them this parable, saying, “What man among you, if he has a hundred sheep and has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open pasture and go after the one which is lost until he finds it? When he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!’ I tell you that in the same way, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.
I couldn't earn it, and I don't deserve it, still, You give Yourself away
Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
Galatians 2:16 nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified.
Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God

Verse 1:
When I was Your foe, still Your love fought for me
You have been so, so good to me
Romans 5:8, 10 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us... For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.
When I felt no worth, You paid it all for me
You have been so, so kind to me
Ephesians 2:3-4 Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest. But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),
1 Timothy 2:5-6 For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself as a ransom for all, the testimony given at the proper time.

Chorus:
And oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God
Oh, it chases me down, fights 'til I'm found, leaves the ninety-nine
And I couldn't earn it, and I don't deserve it, still, You give Yourself away
Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God
Titus 3:4-7 But when the kindness of God our Savior and His love for mankind appeared, He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Bridge:
There's no shadow You won't light up
Mountain You won't climb up
Coming after me
There's no wall You won't kick down
Lie You won't tear down
Coming after me
Jesus said in Luke 19:10 For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost.”
Psalm 23:1 Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the Lord forever. 
John 4:23 But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers

Chorus:
Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God
Oh, it chases me down, fights 'til I'm found, leaves the ninety-nine
And I couldn't earn it, I don't deserve it, still, You give Yourself away

Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God
Jesus said in Matthew 18:12-14 “What do you think? If any man has a hundred sheep, and one of them has gone astray, does he not leave the ninety-nine on the mountains and go and search for the one that is straying? If it turns out that he finds it, truly I say to you, he rejoices over it more than over the ninety-nine which have not gone astray. So it is not the will of your Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones perish.”

Comments

  1. I completely understood what you meant when I listened to this song. I also understand why some may take offense but your explanation is spot on and this song touches my very heart. May God bless your efforts to praise Him and help others do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this breakdown!.... it makes the song even more meaningful to me!... the Lord of God is intentional yet reckless because He kept giving of Himself (Christ) even when there was no assurance of Men coming around from their evil ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God's love is also reckless in how He forgives us. So many of us have conditions in our forgiveness toward others, but then we expect or desire God to be exceeding in love as He wipes our slate clean and pardons are sins as far as the east is from the west. It would be quire reckless for me to do that towards one who has sinned against me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! He forgives without dwelling on our past sins or our future sins that He knows we will commit and disappoint Him again. It's amazing how He knows everything and still forgives.

      Delete
    2. God's love is not reckless and your word choice is disturbing, if you would have used " selfless" in place of "reckless" it would have been a true meaning of His love. Please make sure that your lyrics are biblical. We can not sing this song in church because it is not a biblical accurate song.

      Delete
    3. What about my word choice is disturbing? I do agree that reckless is a word that I am not fully comfortable with in describing God's love, but the message the author, Cory Asbury, is that God is willing to save us no matter the cost (and the cost was great). I'm not sure that there is a better word to use, but maybe He could have described it another way without using just one word. I do not disagree with your church not using it. Reckless just doesn't have the right connotation when describing God. Other than the word reckless (which I did address in my post), is there something else that you find unbiblical about the song?

      Delete
  4. I like the suggestion "Selfless" love of God. Or consider "relentless" love of God. We may not be able to capture any suitable description. I know that the word reckless was very jarring to me when I first heard the song. And still not totally comfortable with it. Explanation helps & I am now accustommed to it. It is a very dynamic and moving song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like "relentless" too! Good suggestion. I feel pretty much the same way about the song.

      Delete
  5. Perfect love. To say God's love is reckless seems to me to speak against The Holy Spirit who tells us otherwise. To me it seems we never have forgiveness (Mark 3:29), as long as we bear false witness and sing that God's love is reckless. The simple fix is to substitute "reckless" (Antichrist) with "perfect" (Christ). Faith comes to do so by hearing God's Word (Romans 10:17).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the word is a poor choice because the connotation implies that God is careless. However, the author is trying to communicate how God's love does not follow man's rules of protecting itself and in that way he is saying it is reckless. While I don't like the word and the other meanings that it can imply, I don't believe the author's intention is heretical. Thankfully, our God who is both holy and gracious is better at judging man's hearts than I am.

      Delete
  6. I really like how you broke down each verse to some part of scripture. Sometime we start "worshipping" while we don't even know if what we are worshipping is sound Biblically. Thank you for this so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the word reckless. This song was one that actually brought me back to God - I felt so lost and unlovable at that time. It reached me - that word specifically - because I heard what Cory meant by it. That no matter how far I'd gone, how lost I'd gotten from what I was raised with, that there was nowhere so far that His love couldn't reach me. I was baptized this past Sunday. I don't believe that the purpose of Christian music is to make people comfortable. I believe that if it is truly divinely inspired, it'll be in line with God's purposes (to seek and save the lost) - and it will bear fruit. When I first heard it on k-love, I had to pull over because I was crying so hard - that day, years of bitterness and resentment started to fall away. It bore fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. God's love is not reckless. I don't think there is a word that best explains the love he has for us: It is undescribable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the overwhelming, never ending, unfailing love of God

      Delete
  9. This song gave me hope. Also God uses this song to talk to me and remind me that i am Loved

    ReplyDelete
  10. God doesn't do anything recklessly. But His love is BOUNDLESS, knows no bounds.
    God is always purposeful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Steadfast. Psalm 85:10

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absurd - wildly unreasonable, illogical, or inappropriate. Yep worldly wisdom can't reason out how God operates. His ways are not our ways. His love, demonstrated through the Gospel message of Jesus, is absurd because it doesn't make sense to our feeble minds. We are called to just believe and trust in that love and allow it to transform us and those around us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It Is Well With My Soul

Bible Verses for How Great Is Our God

More Free Birthday Images with Bible Verses